Friday 21 June 2013

72 Days to Go.... All the gear, no idea

We're allowed a maximum of 20kg excluding boots, sleeping bag and foulies which at one time felt quite adequate.  But given that I have only the barest idea what I am letting myself in for, I have gone on a huge shopping spree.  I have bought and returned so much stuff- I could have kitted out the whole boat.  Still, in the next 6 weeks I need to finalise my kit list and be ready to go.

Mand modelling my 3-layer
waterproof sleeping bag
The big stuff is done - sleeping bag, boots, kit bag, thermals, fleeces, mid-layers, outer-layers and I should really just stop there.  But there have been loads of discussions about other useful if not essential pieces of kit that is making it difficult to lay off the late night shopping.

The latest one is 'do I really need a dry suit?'.  I did in fact buy one (for £900!!) which I swiftly returned (not without trying it on first - see below) and it promised to keep me warm and dry in the coldest, wettest seas.  Excellent.  But can I really justify spending nearly a grand on something I'll probably use for a maximum of 4 weeks?

So that went back, and I guess I'll have to see whether that was a huge mistake.  Problem is - I'll only really know when I'm well and truly freezing my tits off.



And then you start to think about how many pairs of waterproof socks you really need.  Recommendation is 2 pairs per leg.  But at £30 a pop, can I get away with just one pair?

Now - I know this sounds like a kvetch, and surely I realised that sailing was never going to be a cheap way to pass the time - but I'm not sure it ever occurred to me that I'd be spending £30 on a pair of socks!

But whilst my bank balance is taking a battering, I am loving all this.  Look at me - I almost look like a sailor!  One freaked out their mind - but a sailor none-the-less.  And whilst I don't exactly know what I'm doing, having the right kit will at least give the illusion I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment