Tuesday 11 June 2013

82 Days to Go - No experience necessary

I was one of the many that succumbed to the advertising on the tube.  The poster said 'Are you ready for a challenge of a lifetime?' and at that particular moment, I definitely was.  Then, when I found out about Clipper and sailing around the world, the thing that tipped me over the edge - was that little statement at the bottom that said 'No experience necessary'.  So I was hooked.  Not only was I going to learn how to sail (from scratch!) but my first real sail would be to Australia.

The snake pit
So this was right up my alley, but I don't think I realised at that point what learning to sail really entailed.  There is a whole new language to learn.  I remember doing a theory course as my first foray into this world, and was totally blown away with the vast amount of stuff I was going to need to get to grips with.  All the ropes on a boat have a certain name, they all are clearly vital for something and in the heat of the moment, when times get really tough - you cannot afford to sit there thinking about it.  Sailing is instinct, and I am a long long way from that.  But I do remain optimistic that whilst my French is poor, Sailing is a language I will pick up. For the sake of my team, I will have to!

And that's before we even start with navigation.  Am going to call that phase 2.  At the moment, I'm carrying a bit of rope around with me, so if I'm waiting for the bus, or need a break at work, I'm practising my bowlines, clove hitch, admiral stopper and twisty twisty hitchy hitchy knots.

Luckily - most of the people doing Clipper have got some experience and are super patient and happy to teach, and some of them even have boats that they let me try and work out what the hell is happening.  So its slowly coming all together, though am still waiting for that hallelujah moment.  Will let you know when it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment